|On Sunday 11th July 2004, the following a service in St Mary Magdalene, Hucknall, at the end of the Byron Festival week, where we remembered the anniversary of the Burial of the 6th Lord Byron in the family vault in the Church, and gave thanks for the friendship agreement between Hucknall and Armenia, we dedicated the Khatchkar seen in the picture below. The Khatchkar is fixed to the oldest part of the church, the base of the tower dating from around 1120, which is probably the earliest remaining Christian building in the town of Hucknall.|
| This Armenian Cross (Khatchkar) was presented to
Holgate School in 1991 in recognition of the work undertaken by Britain
following the devastating earthquake in Armenia in 1988.
The Lord Byron School, Guimri, Republic of Armenia, was built to to replace one of the destroyed schools and a link was formed between this school and the Holgate School, Hucknall. A Friendship Agreement, signed in 1998 marked the tie between Hucknall and Armenia - a bond strongly supported by Revd Canon Fred Green Rector of Hucknall 1989 - 2002.
This cross is placed here in recognition of the support given by the people of Hucknall to the Armenian people and the Lord Byron School, and is dedicated to the memory of Father Fred Green.
|The words printed above at the side of the photograph were the words used as part of the dedication. There will be a descriptive plaque mounted alongside the Khatchkar together with a few words in the Armenian language. When available these will be reproduced here on this page.|
If you would like further details about any of the
select one of the options on the contact page, and send us an e-mail.
Go back to St Mary Magdalene Homepage
This page created and maintained by
on behalf of the District Church Council of St Mary Magdalene.
Contents © 2002 - last change 16th July 2004